Did you know that according to recent studies, over 50% of emergency room visits could be avoided (NEHI, 2010)? Did you know that the average cost of an ER visit is $2,168 (Abrams, 2013)? The good news is that your Primary Care Provider can provide care for many common illnesses for much less expense!
Unless you have a medical emergency*, consider the medical care options below BEFORE heading to the ER.
- CALL OUR OFFICE When you feel sick, call your primary care physician. Same day appointments may be available. After hours, we have a physician on call.
- USE OUR WALK-IN CLINIC We have a walk-in clinic located at 120 Executive Center Parkway, Fredericksburg, VA 22401. The walk-in clinic is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. No appointment is needed.
- WEEKEND HOURS You can schedule an appointment for a sick visit on Saturday and Sunday mornings at our 120 Executive Center Parkway location.
- NON-EMERGENT ILLENSSES Here is a list of some of the illnesses we handle at Rappahannock Family Physicians:
Headache/Sore throat Back pain & minor injuries
Diarrhea/Constipation Staple removal/dressing changes
Urinary tract/bladder infection Nausea/vomiting
* WHEN TO CALL 911 OR GO TO THE CLOSEST EMERGENCY ROOM.
You should always seek immediate medical assistance in the event of a medical emergency. Examples of medical emergencies include, but are not limited to:
- Bleeding that will not stop
- Breathing problems (difficulty breathing, shortness of breath)
- Broken bone
- Change in mental status (such as unusual behavior, confusion, difficulty arousing)
- Chest pain
- Coughing up or vomiting blood
- Fainting or loss of consciousness
- Feeling of committing suicide or murder
- Head or spine injury
- Severe or persistent vomiting
- Sudden injury due to a motor vehicle accident, a fall, burns or smoke inhalation, near drowning, deep or large wound, etc.
- Sudden, severe pain anywhere in the body
- Sudden dizziness, weakness, or change in vision
- Swallowing a poisonous substance
- Upper abdominal pain or pressure